I forgot that I had ‘scheduled’ this post to post automatically. I thought I would finish writing it and post it this evening, after returning home from knitting night. sheesh.
So. I had a coupon with JoAnn’s fabric store for 60% off of muslin fabric. YES!!! This is just what I needed to make this mockup. I got 10 yards for less than $20. I scored! I didn’t worry about washing it before cutting and sewing it up. It wasn’t going to be used as anything but for Lori to try on so I could make the adjustments.
The hardest thing for me is to remember to take pictures as I sew along. I get so excited in seeing the progress that I keep going and then, all of a sudden, it is done. oops.
I sewed the seams of the pants with French seams, so there wouldn’t be any exposed raw edges. This isn’t really important on the mock-up, but I wanted it to see how it would fit as if I had finished it like I will be finishing the final garment. Once the ‘pants’ were finished they made me laugh. I know that modern clothes don’t have the same fit as vintage clothes, but these pants look huge.
The top worked up as quickly as the pants had.
I attached the top to the bottom and it looks like a big white bag. sigh. Not the flowy, sexy garment that I imagined. I know it will be awesome in the silk, but for now not-so-much.
I got it in the mail on Monday last-past and Lori received it today – Wednesday. We did a “Marco-polo” app video fitting. The changes are straight forward enough and I don’t even need her to send the muslin back. I will cut out the silk and have time to sew it up this coming Sunday.
In the meantime, I started on my beach PJ’s. I only have the fabric for the pants, but I finished cutting and sewing those up last night.
I am thinking of making the bodice part in white and then having a tie that matches the pants.