Hers · Sewing · Work Basket

Hawaii 2017 – Day 1

Partner and I got up at 3am to be able to leave for the airport by 3:30.  There was leftover coffee from the day before that was still lukewarm, we went with it. I am very grateful for the ride up to the airport and for his company. I do feel bad that he had a full day ahead of him after little to no sleep.

My flight was on Alaska Airlines and was leaving at 06:35am.  I wanted to make sure that I was going to be able to make it through the TSA security screening and to my gate in plenty of time before the flight.  The early morning flights are always super busy.

On Wednesday, I had looked up the rules regarding what I could and couldn’t take in my carry on luggage.  I wanted to make sure that, if I wanted to take my knitting on the plane to keep me busy on the flight, I would be able to do so without my good needles being taken from me.  As it turns out, I could take them but ended up not taking a knitting project.  I took a sewing project instead.

Upon arriving in San Jose, I saw that Lori B had missed her flight. I was able to talk to her on the phone and ashe said that she had gotten a little lost on her way to the airport. After that I had a little bit of a wait, but not bad.  As soon as we were in the air, I went to sleep.  I woke up right before we were to land in San Jose.  We were to have a one hour lay over.  By the time I got to the next gate, we were only a few minutes until boarding.  I didn’t mind that at all.  The flight to Hawai’i was scheduled to be about 5 hours 26 minutes.  I would need something to keep me busy.  I chose to bring my Ruby McKim block and my newly started project; Flower of the Month Embroidery Block #5 – May (lily of the valley) a Patti-Ann Publication. After lift-off (launch, as my son used to say when he was a little guy), I finished the stitching on the morning glory block of the Ruby McKim block.  Then I started stitching on my new project.  I wasn’t very far in when I had to put it away.  I just needed to get some more sleep.  I had a horrible headache. Again I woke up just as the plane was getting ready to land.

Once the plane was on the ground and we were allowed to turn back on our cel-phones, I got notification that 2 things. Two of our party had just landed and Lori B had also missed her second plane.