Hawai’i 2017 – Day 1 (cont.)

Not only did Lori miss her flight, but David and Missi had just touched down (I had not met them yet). They said that they would be going to the bar to wait. I figured I would get my luggage and then head to the bar to meet and wait with them. After  I FINALLY found the luggage claim area and got my case, I looked around and saw a sign that said that I couldn’t go back up where I just came from. Hmmm… how AM I going to get back up to that bar? So I sat down with my case to wait for someone, anyone, to come by that looked anything like the Dave and/or Missi pictures on the “Group Me” app.

It wasn’t very long before I started getting messages from Missi and David, about how the FBI took some guy off the plane in handcuffs and that they would be delayed getting off their plane, because they were having to get off one at a time.  WHAT THE HECK?!  I finally got a piece of a clue and asked one of the airport helpers how to get back upstairs to the bar.  Apparently I just needed to walk around the wall and take the other elevator back upstairs to the Atrium Bar.

I ordered a Mai Tai and a sandwich.  Right after giving my order I got another message from Missi and David.  They were now on a shuttle, being taken to a conference room to be interviewed by the FBI. They were told that it could be hours.  About this time I got a message from Monique, that she and BJ had just landed.

Since I had already started on food and drink (and my headache was starting to go away now), I told them that I was excited to meet them and hear their story. Missi then said that the FBI was going to go through all the passengers’ belongings before they would be returned to them. David and Missi were DONE.  They got their own rental car and headed to the hotel.  I finished my sandwich and my drink and continued to wait.  I waited until I got a call from Monique, asking me if I was with David and Missi. I said, “nope”.  Monique and BJ were getting their rental van and she directed me to be able to find her.  When I rounded the corner and saw Monique standing there, smiling, I knew it was her.  She has the most amazing smile.  We loaded up in the van, waited for Jen in her rental car to get behind us and we all headed to the Hale Koa hotel.

After checking in and dropping off the luggage, we all headed down to the barefoot bar on the beach.

David and Missi
Jennifer and Monique



There was a guy selling toys on the beach, as the sun started to go down.  He would hook them to a rubber band thing, and then flip them high up in the air.  It looked like they would fall directly on top of us sitting at the barefoot bar.  When the toys would be at the apex of their flight, they would light up and then start spinning and catch the breeze and end up landing right by the guy that threw them in the air.  Every Friday at 6:45pm there is a fireworks show directly on the beach.  We were well placed for fireworks viewing.

First night Sunset

At the bar we all visited and had lovely beverages until we got a call from Lori and Tara, that they had arrived.  We headed back to the airport to pick them up. The group was  FINALLY all together!  Back to the hotel and back to the barefoot bar for more visiting and drinks.

As we walked back up the path to the hotel, the trees were under light with blue lights.  It felt like we were walking into the movie AVATAR.

Eventually we all ended up in our rooms where Lori, Tara and I realised that none of us remembered to bring a charger for our laptops. Doh!